Canada Student Visa

If you want to apply for a Canada student visa, we recommend taking the Global Visas free step-by-step assessment as the first step towards studying in Canada. Start applying for Canadian immigration today by clicking on the link below

Start Your Free Assessment Here

Requirements for Student Visa Canada

Most foreign nationals will require a study permit to study in Canada and others will need to apply for a temporary residence Canada visa. Exceptions may include those taking courses lasting less than six months; family members of accredited foreign representatives to Canada; and members of a foreign armed force. Whether or not they need a permit, all applicants must demonstrate:

  • Acceptance by a school, university or educational institution in Canada.
  • Proof of ability to pay tuition fees, living expenses and return fares to their home country.
  • Ability to satisfy health requirements.

Student visa in Canada for short courses

The general rule is that you do not need a study visa for Canada if your course or university exchange scheme lasts six months or less. But those intending to extend their studies beyond the six-month period should still apply for a study permit before arrival. You must still apply for a study permit for a short course where:

  • You are considered a minor in the province where you plan to study.
  • You intend to work on campus.
  • You want to take part in a co-op or internship scheme.

Study and work in Canada

Foreign nationals wishing to combine study and work in Canada will not always require a separate work permit. Those with a valid student visa for Canada may work on the campus of the college where they are registered, either for that institution or a private business. This also applies to graduate and teaching assistants, who may also be allowed to work off campus without a work permit under some circumstances. To learn more about working while on a student visa, contact Global Visas.

Dependent children studying in Canada

The minor children of foreign nationals working or studying in Canada will usually require a study permit to attend school. Exceptions include:

  • Minor children attending pre-school or kindergarten.
  • Minor children who are refugees or offspring of refugee claimants.
  • Dependent children of accredited foreign representatives.

Primary and secondary school age children will need an open study permit, and those of university age will require a study permit for Canada.

Apply for your Canada study visa through Global Visas

The teams of fully qualified staff at Global Visas are registered with government bodies all over the world. Find out further information on our Canada Study Visa page. For help and advice Canada study visa requirements, contact Global Visas by clicking the link to take our free assessment.